Thursday 7 June 2012

E3 - The Good, Bad and Ugly

My E3 roundup

This is taking the form of a good, bad and the ugly style, but it is limited to my opinion. I make no comments on PS3, PC or handheld games, nor their commercial success or targets. These are purely from my opinions on games I’d want. So some stuff will be missed out. Deal with it.

THE GOOD I’ll open this up with “Watch-Dogs”. Everything I’ve seen thus far, my game of the show. Original, unique and looks hella fun. I have no problem with sequels or rehashs, but this look genuinely unique and brand new. Want
Hitman Absolution – Always been a big hitman fan, the in game stuff from this year puts aside the worries from last year’s E3 vid that it was going the way Splinter Cell was going (more on that later) and going action not stealth.
Quantum Conudrum – Could be interesting, so will need to keep an eye out on it. But I’d need to see some more in game stuff to work out what the hell is going on
Sleeping Dogs – I liked the first True Crime even through all its major issues. So this is looking promising
Need for Speed – MOST WANTED. Yes. A true most wanted game, made by the guys who made Burnout. The best NFS made by the makers of the best racing game ever (Burnout Revenge FYI). As long as it doesn’t have the ridiculous rubber-banding and bias that Hot Pursuit has it will be something magical
Star Wars 1313 – What I’ve seen looks gorgeous, but not great from gameplay. I’ve been told its similar to Uncharted on the PS3, but I’ve not played that so wouldn’t know. I’m excited for it though. I just have 2 questions – Which period in Star Wars history is it set? And does “mature Star Wars game” mean boobs, blood and bleeps, or a deep story with real decisions?
Tomb Raider – Looks fantastic. Can’t say much else.
And then the assorted others – FarCry 3, Assassins Creed 3, Halo 4, Forza Horizon

THE BAD
Splinter Cell Black List – This game really belongs in good. It looks great. It looks like I want to play it. But its not splinter Cell anymore. Chaos Theory was the pinnacle of Splinter Cells. Double Agent mixed in more action, but left some stealthy hide in the shadows gameplay. Conviction, more action, less stealth and that mark your targets gimmick. Blacklist, we saw no stealth and just running and gunning. Factor in the fact that Ironside isn’t voicing Sam anymore and I’m annoyed
Gears of War Redemption – Again, this belongs in the good. But its here because of one thing. The story is set 15 years before Gears 1. As a massive fan of the Gears universe the changes in fluff are inexcusable. 15 years before GOW1 would make it before E-Day. It would make it before the invention of the chainsaw lancer. It would make Cole still a Thrashball player, not a Gear. It would make Baird a Corporal, not a Lt. Also the “crimes” the squad are accused of in the trailer are far worse than what sent Marcus to the Slab in the universe. They carry the death penalty for him, and these guys are even worse? As a side, I like the gameplay, I like Baird and Cole so happy to see more of them, but the massive changes to the story are incredibly annoying.

THE UGLY
Gaming companies still pushing fitness games and casual experiences over real games.

No comments:

Post a Comment